Community And Service
COMMUNITY AND SERVICE
The Abbotsford Quilters’ Guild encourages its members to independently and cooperatively make quilts for its charitable arm, the “We Care Comfort Quilt Society”. Through this society we provide quilts, made by our guild members, to needy recipients and charities. These are distributed primarily in Abbotsford and Mission to the following recipients, but also province and nation wide:
- New Beginnings (for children of teenage parents completing their high school education)
- Peardonville House (for preschool children of rehab residence)
- SARA for Women (Abbotsford and Mission) – Transition and 2nd Stage Housing, Christine Lamb Residence, Santa Rosa, Pregnancy Outreach program
- Abbotsford Regional Hospital Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (and a special quilt for the ARH New Years Baby)
- Quilts for Survivors (for residential school survivors)
- Victims of natural disasters (floods, wildfires, etc)
We fund our We Care Comfort Quilt Society with money raised at our biennial quilt show, “Quilts in the Valley”, which showcases our members’ work. All profits go towards purchase of materials to make the charity quilts. All donations of quilting fabric and/or batting are always welcome.
Abbotsford Quilters’ Guild also provides an annual $500 bursary to one eligible graduate of the New Beginnings program who is continuing on into post secondary education.